How Financial Therapy Helps Navigate Disney World & So Much More: With Ashley Agnew
Today, Ed is joined by Ashley Agnew, Director of Relationship Development at Centerpoint Advisors, which provides financial therapy informed planning to its ultra-high-net-worth clients, many of which are fourth-generation business owners.
In this conversation, Ashley talks about the importance of getting crystal clear on your relationship with money. Her goal as a financial therapist is to see her clients’ “money stories come to life,” gleaning from the paradigms shaped through generations which inform their attitude towards their finances today.
Ashley has noticed after years of discussions that many people, especially those who are involved in their family-owned businesses, practically treat money as another family member. Beliefs around money, in other words, have the power to strengthen or erode one’s relationship with one’s family. Getting clear on what your beliefs are, and how to reprogram the unproductive ones, all begins with those tough discussions. Ultimately, working with a great financial therapist will put you on the path to getting rid of feelings of shame around money.
- Defining one’s “relationship with money” (02:49)
- Overcoming unproductive generational paradigms around money (07:56)
- How financial therapy helps people improve their relationship with money (13:18)
- Maintaining a marriage and friendships where money is positively spoken about (26:00)
- Why building true wealth really begins once deep-seated trauma has been resolved (34:16)
- Summing it up (40:22)
Healthy Love and Money Resources:
- Healthy Love and Money Website
- The Couples Guide to Financial Intimacy
- Healthy Love and Money Facebook
- Healthy Love and Money Instagram
- Healthy Love and Money LinkedIn
- The Healthy Love & Money Way: How the Four Attachment Styles Impact Your Financial Well-Being (book)
- Stop Fighting & Start Talking: Gaining Peace and Perspective on Family Finances (book)