How Financial Planning and Financial Therapy Changes Couples Lives: With Danielle Seurkamp
Today, Ed is joined by Danielle Seurkamp, Founder of Well Spent Wealth Planning. Since joining the financial planning industry in 2006, Danielle has helped hundreds of individuals and families to effectively achieve their financial goals.
As a Certified Financial Planner who jokingly also refers to herself as a “mental health hobbyist,” Danielle says that her role is “not all just numbers, logic, and common sense. Even financial planning, as much as it is about dollars and cents, is also about priorities, goals, and making things happen in our lives. Our emotions have such a big impact on all of that.”
In this conversation, Danielle explains why nobody—not even high-income earners—is immune to financial stress and hardship. She also speaks on the typical issues faced by couples when it comes to their finances, and why the key to solving the majority of these problems is by shifting the focus away from tactics and toward foundational values.
Danielle reflects on her own upbringing and how it shaped her worldview regarding finances and, later on, how that upbringing influenced her money conversations with her husband. She and Ed agree that acquiring a deeper awareness of our money beliefs shaped over the years is vital to getting clear on how to improve our relationship with our finances moving forward.
- Why many high-income earners still struggle with their finances (03:10)
- How Danielle’s financial background shaped her worldview around money and wealth (08:02)
- Common finance-related issues faced by couples and how to navigate them (12:19)
- Why vulnerability is important in any conversation around money (18:04)
- How Danielle and her husband manage their shared relationship with money (22:25)
- How we make financial decisions (33:47)
- What it’s like to be more financially balanced as a married couple (35:55)
- Key takeaways (42:58)
Connect With Healthy Love and Money:
- Schedule your free 30-Minute Discovery Call About Therapy-Informed Financial Planning™.
- Learn about your money and attachment style with this short Attachment Style Quiz.
- Buy the Double Award Winning Book: The Healthy Love and Money Way.
- Hit Follow on Your Favorite Podcast Player To Get the Latest Episodes.