Bringing Care and Compassion To Special Needs Financial Planning with Ryan McGuire
“Don't underestimate the amount of services and resources and support that might be out there. It takes time to research and to find these organizations. But there are a lot of different types of supports that can be provided to adults with disabilities who just need that little extra help in a few different areas to really live their best life.”
Navigating the financial landscape can be daunting, but when it comes to planning for a family member with special needs, the intricacies intensify. That's why our host Ed Coambs sits down with Ryan McGuire of Oak Wealth Advisors to traverse the terrain of special needs financial planning. Ryan's insights offer a beacon of light for parents grappling with the dual objectives of securing their retirement and ensuring the lifelong care of their child with disabilities. They broach subjects such as the judicious distribution of assets and the emotional fortitude required to address these sensitive issues with grace and fairness.
The conversation then shifts gears to the critical support systems that can steer families through the most tumultuous of times. Ed and Ryan unravel the value of specialized services, from medical advocacy firms to healthcare power of attorneys, illustrating through a poignant case study how these lifelines can redefine a family's crisis management.
They wrap up by looking into financial intimacy, revealing its profound influence on personal development and healing. Ryan's passion for guiding individuals through their financial journeys shines as he advocates for self-awareness tools like journaling to deepen understanding. Join in on this heartening exploration of money's role in relationships and well-being, and discover how to foster more robust financial dynamics and connections within your own life.
- Welcome, Ryan McGuire! (01:14)
- Balancing Financial Needs in Families (04:43)
- Helping Families Gain Financial Clarity (07:33)
- Supporting Adults with Disabilities with Estate Planning and Advocacy (11:24)
- A Family Success Story Example from Oak Wealth Advisors (16:42)
- Is There a Minimum of Income/Wealth to Get Special Needs Planning? (27:33)
- Special Needs Trusts and Financial Planning (29:28)
- Finding Qualified Attorneys (37:01)
- Financial Challenges for Families with Permanent Disabilities (44:11)
Connect With Healthy Love and Money:
- Schedule your free 30-Minute Discovery Call About Therapy-Informed Financial Planning™.
- Learn about your money and attachment style with this short Attachment Style Quiz.
- Buy the Double Award Winning Book: The Healthy Love and Money Way.
- Hit Follow on Your Favorite Podcast Player To Get the Latest Episodes.